NANDO’S SAYS, THANKS BUT NO THANKS TO DSTV
Monday, 25 June 2012 14:38
Nando's has turned the tables on pay-TV service DStv. Remember DSTV, ETV and SABC turned their backs on Nando’s saying they will not flight its controversial "xenophobia" advertisement on their channels. The advert was banned by DSTV and e.TV - both of which initially aired it - earlier this month, days after the SABC rejected it on the grounds it could be misinterpreted and perpetuate xenophobia and even violence.
DSTV media sales CEO Chris Hitchings on Friday said the company had reversed its decision after the Advertising Standards Authority of SA (ASA) dismissed complaints about the advert. Well Nando’s marketing manager, Thabang Ramogase said it would not flight the advertisement on DSTV as it was unhappy with the way it dealt with the matter.
Apparently, Top TV came forward saying it was interested in airing the ad and Nando’s feels the response from DSTV was just a reaction to Top TV coming forward. "Their decision only came after Top TV said it would air the advertisement. They should have stuck to their principles and not jumped on the bandwagon like they did when SABC decided to reject the advertisement," said Thabang Ramogase.
Ramogase said it would flight the advert on Top TV. He had not received any indication from the SABC or e.TV whether they would change their decision. On June 15, the ASA dismissed complaints it had received from viewers and ruled that the Nando's commercial did not contravene its Code of Advertising Practice. The advertisement was within the parameters of hyperbole and/or harmless parody, it ruled.